Medium Resistance - Blue
About POWERbreathe Plus Medium Resistance
- Second generation POWERbreathe Inspiratory Muscle Training (IMT) device
- 65% improvement in airflow dynamics than the Classic
- Mechanical, adjustable with load setting indicator
- Drug-free - no side effects or drug interactions
Medium Resistance Load Settings
- Level 0 = 23cmH2O
- Level 1 = 39cmH2O
- Level 2 = 55cmH2O
- Level 3 = 72cmH2O
- Level 4 = 88cmH2O
- Level 5 = 104cmH2O
- Level 6 = 121cmH2O
- Level 7 = 137cmH2O
- Level 8 = 153cmH2O
- Level 9 = 170cmH2O
- Level 10 = 186cmH2O
Precise load settings may vary due to: (1) the analogue nature of the calibrated spring tensioner and the precision with which the load is selected; (2) a small effect of inspiratory flow rate upon spring compression such that high inspiratory flow rates lead to greater spring compression, and a small increase in load.
This effect is common to all spring loaded devices, and its size is magnified by increasing spring range (it is larger in a spring with a maximum range of 90cmH2O compared with one with half this range), it is also greater at lower absolute load settings.
About POWERbreathe Plus IMT
POWERbreathe is a scientifically proven Inspiratory Muscle Training (IMT) device, developed by leading scientists for improving the strength and endurance of the muscles used to breathe in, primarily the diaphragm and intercostals / rib cage muscles.
As with any other muscle, respiratory muscles can be trained so that they are more resistant to fatigue. This resistance to fatigue results in reduced breathlessness and enhanced exericse tolerance.
POWERbreathe Plus uses scientifically proven Pressure Threshold Training. This provides a specific and consistent pressure to train against. When breathing in through POWERbreathe the load calibrated spring provides the resistance.
Use and Care
How to use:
Put the nose-clip on so that it pushes your nostrils together (this is optional but prevents you from breathing in through your nose).
Breathe in quickly and forcefully through your POWERbreathe for 30 breaths twice a day (preferably morning and night so you allow your inspiratory muscles time to recover in between sessions). This is the scientifially proven training regimen.
As your inspiratory muscle strength and stamina improve, adjust and increase the resistance.
Within a few days your inspiratory muscles will feel stronger; within 3-weeks youll feel less breathless; and within 4 weeks activities will feel easier.
Full instructions are provided in the accompanying user manual.
Your POWERbreathe will be exposed to saliva during use. We recommend that a few times a week your POWERbreathe should be soaked in warm water for about 10 minutes (see your POWERbreathe Manual for full details).
Once a week your POWERbreathe should be soaked in a mild cleansing solution instead of water, using the POWERbreathe Cleansing Tablets - only 1 tablet is required each time.
Precautions and Contraindications
POWERbreathe is drug free, suitable for almost anyone and should cause no harmful side effects when used properly. Please read the following precautions and contraindications to ensure that you use your POWERbreathe safely and appropriately.
If you have any doubts about POWERbreathes suitability, or you have a medical condition, please consult your doctor.
- Do not make changes to any prescribed medication or prescribed treatment programme without consulting your doctor.
- Do not use POWERbreathe if you are suffering from a ruptured eardrum.
- To prevent the potential transmission of infections, we recommend that you do not share your POWERbreathe with other users, including family members.
- This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
- POWERbreathe is designed for exercising your inspiratory muscles only. No other use is intended or implied.
- Anyone who is under the age of 16 should only use POWERbreathe with supervision from an adult. POWERbreathe contains small parts and is not suitable for children under 7 years.
- Whilst training with POWERbreathe you should feel resistance when inhaling but it should not be painful. If you should feel pain whilst using POWERbreathe, stop immediately and consult your doctor.
- Some users may experience slight ear discomfort when training with Medic Plus, especially if they are recovering from a cold. This is caused by inadequate equalisation of pressure between the mouth and ears. If symptoms persist, please consult your doctor.
- If you are suffering from a cold, sinusitis or respiratory tract infection, we advise that you do not use POWERbreathe until symptoms have disappeared. If in doubt, consult your doctor.
- Refer to your Healthcare Professional before using POWERbreathe if you have any of the following conditions:
- A history of spontaneous pneumothorax (a collapsed lung that was not due to traumatic injury e.g. broken rib), as it may lead to a recurrence of the condition.
- Pulmonary hypertension o Large bullae on chest x-ray
- Marked osteoporosis with history of rib fractures
- Desaturation during or following IMT (<94%)
Inspiratory muscle training, such as training with POWERbreathe, is not recommended for patients with certain conditions, including the following:
Asthma patients who have low symptom perception and suffer from frequent, severe exacerbations or with an abnormally low perception of dyspnoea
If you are suffering from a ruptured eardrum or any other condition of the ear
Patients with marked elevated left ventricular end-diastolic volume and pressure
Patients with worsening heart failure signs and symptoms after RMT / IMT
If in doubt, consult your Healthcare Professional.
Whats in the box
POWERbreathe IMT device
- Mouthpiece (PVC - not made with natural rubber latex or and phthalates)
- Nose clip
- Storage pouch
- 4 cleansing tablets
- User manual